Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Fluid World of Boat Transport

So, today is the day Parlay gets picked up by the truck...or so I thought.  At about 9:30 this morning, I get an e-mail from the transport company saying their driver for my truck didn't properly account for the weight of the boat he was moving and the truck and trailer broke...in Texas.  I'm not real good at math (actually I am), but how is a truck that broke down in Texas yesterday supposed to make it to Rhode Island today?

Of course this set of a phone call frenzy to every shipper in the United States looking for someone who could pick up the boat on short notice, including a frantic call to the father-in-law to ask whether his Freightliner could tow a 70' trailer (the company I had originally contracted with, based in North Carolina, had a trailer but no truck).  Of course the company that finally agreed to pick the boat up this week was the company I was referred to in the first place, mainly for their amazing customer service and competitive prices.  I know, I should have used them the first time around.  The folks at Able transport dispatched a driver from Virginia within about 30 minutes and said he would pick the boat up on Friday.  Not only that, but he promised delivery before the end of next week (something the first company would not promise).  What this means to the Mrs and I is that we actually to get to play on the boat in CA in two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment